Rare Beers and Good Karma
Brews for New Avenues
Green Dragon, 928 SE 9th Ave
Saturday, September 7, 5 - 10pm
$10 gets you a beer, a mug, and a raffle ticket
I would like to direct your attention to the month's best win-win: Brews for New Avenues. On your side of the ledger is an extraordinary beer event at the Green Dragon that features a kick-ass lineup of draft beer, including a few from De Garde, perhaps the season's first fresh hop beer (Deschutes), specialties from Logsdon, the Commons, a Freigeist/Jester King collab*, and of course many more. But that's just to get things started. The main event is a live auction of a spectacular collection of bottles. The whole list is here, but a few of the highlights include:
- A seven-bottle collection from Crooked Stave
- The Armand 4-Seasons set from Drie Fonteinen
- A Lost Abbey box set that comes in a wooden box and contains 13 rare beers
- A Westvleteren 12 box and a special five-year vertical of Westvleteren 12
- Bottles from Cigar City, Upland, Cantillon, and New Glarus
But appearances aside, you will not be the main beneficiary of this; New Avenues for Youth, a local nonprofit that helps kids get off the street, will get all the proceeds. Last year that amounted to $17,000, and this year they're hoping to do better. Go raid the piggy bank and buy some guilt-free beer geek trophies, because the more you spend, the better it is for New Avenues.
*Freigeist is that obscure sour-ale brewery from, of all places, Cologne.