Just in time for the GABF, Denver's Jonathan Shikes offers his take on the six most overrated breweries in the US:
- Dogfish Head: "I have yet to find a Dogfish beer that didn't involve a grimace."
- Russian River: "Pliny the Elder is a great beer, but it's not any better than half a dozen other IPAs in Colorado alone, let alone California."
- Brooklyn Brewery: "They have a great reputation, but maybe that's because New York has so many people and is starved for in-state craft breweries."
- Goose Island: "The beers ... remind me the selection in Colorado in 2000."
- Bear Republic: "I can think of a dozen IPA that are more balanced and more flavorful than Racer 5."
- New Belgium: "The world seems to crave Fat Tire, and that is fine. But I've never met a real craft-beer lover who drinks it."
- Cascade Brewing. Another gose? Do we really need another gose?
- Hopworks. Mostly attractive to cyclists because of the rich parking opportunities.
- Upright. Make me a "Fourteen" and then we'll talk.
- Full Sail. Come on, John Harris, what have you done for us lately?
- Hair of the Dog. The world wants to know: when will you make a "Jeff?"
- Brewers Union. Give this damned cask thing a rest, will you?